Keep In Touch: Alumni News
The following alumni have notified us of career advancements and other events:
- Michael Albert (MS '13, Fuqua PhD '13) is joining Ohio State as a Visiting Assistant Professor of Finance.
- Sayan Bhattacharya (PhD '12) is currently a postdoctoral researcher in the Algorithms and Complexity Group at the Max Planck Institut für Informatik, Saarbr¨cken, Germany. His research interests lie in Algorithmic Game Theory and Approximation Algorithms. At present he is working on designing efficient algorithms for market equilibria and auctions with good revenue properties.
- Scott Brothers (BS '12) is living in Seattle, WA, working at Microsoft as a Software Development Engineer in Test on the Excel Services team, Microsoft Office Division.
- In August Brittany Fasy (PhD '12) will start a postdoc at Tulane University in New Orleans, LA, working with Carola Wenk in Computational Geometry. (She also got married in June and has promised to send photos of fellow Duke CS alums who traveled to be there for the occasion.)
- Herodotus (Hero) Herodotou (PhD '12) was awarded the 2013 SIGMOD ACM Jim Gray Doctoral Dissertation Award, Honorable Mention, for his dissertation (advised by Shivnath Babu) titled "Automatic Tuning of Data-Intensive Analytical Workloads."
- Cary Ho (BS, '12) will start medical school at Ohio State in Columbus, OH, this fall.
- Dima Korzhyk (PhD '13) is working as a Quant Developer at Two Sigma Investments in New York, NY.
- Bharath Kumar (MS '13) has joined the Amazon Web Services Redshift Team in Seattle, WA. He is a Software Development Engineer, focusing on developing infrastructure and application services that will enable "virtually everything" to run in the cloud.
- Josh Letchford (PhD '13) is joining Sandia National Labs.
- Jie Li (MS '13) works in the Data Infrastructure team at Pinterest Inc. in San Francisco, CA.
- Harold Lim (PhD '13) will be joining Nicira in Palo Alto, CA. He will be part of the team that is building the Nicira Network Virtualization Platform (NVP), which is a distributed controller system for managing virtual networks.
- Xin Liu (PhD '12) is a Software Engineer at Google in Irvine, CA.
- Rohit Paravastu (MS '12) is in Bellevue, WA, working as a Software Development Engineer on the Ad Targeting team, Microsoft Online Services Division. Most of his work involves analyzing and improving targeting algorithms to provide more relevant ads to the users.
- Peng Shi (BS '10) is in graduate school at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and was featured in The New York Times recently, in an article about his work developing a school-assignment system to improve outcomes for parents and students in the Boston Public School system.
- Ge Wang (BS '10) received a Champion of the Arts Award for his contributions to the promotion of music in Silicon Valley. Wang is at Stanford's Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics.
- Lirong Xia (PhD '11) joins Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) in Rensselaer, NY, this fall as an Assistant Professor of Computer Science.
- Fan Yang (MS '12) is moving back to China to begin a job as an Internet Application Engineer at the China Academy in the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology in Beijing.
Do you have something
for alumni news? Would you like to update your info? Fill out
the Alumni Registration Form
and tell us about your new job, awards, new degree, etc.